Cygnet Hotel & Guesthouse (Top Pub)
7pm, 11th September 2017
Agenda: 2017 September meeting
Minutes: June 2017 – draft minutes
Make Cygnet a better place to live and visit.
The Cygnet Association (Inc) was formed in 2014 to take over from the former Huon Valley Council sub committee. When relevant we still work closely with council to achieve our goals.
We currently have about 60 members and hold quarterly meetings where a wide variety of projects are discussed and strategies formulated.
Contact us HERE
- Working with HVC we are very pleased to have 17 new Ash trees along Mary Street. These will grow to provide shade in the summer and a colourful display of autumn colours. It will take time but these should become a major feature of our streetscape. As funds permit we hope to plant more. If you would like to ‘sponsor a tree’ or have us plant a ‘memorial tree’ on your behalf please let us know. And no, this is not a photo of some that have just been planted but hopefully they will look like that in a few years.
- As funds become available we hope to plant more of these Lednaw Aerial Ash (fraxinus pennsylvanica) around the Mary Street car park to enhance this heritage area and complement the existing plantings. Here are a couple of “before and after” shots to demonstrate how we envisage this area.
- We’re in the final stages of installing interpretive plaques on many of the historic buildings in the township. As well as having photos and a short history they will have QR codes which will link to pages on this site giving further information. Getting accurate historical information has been quite a challenge.
- Pedestrian safety is a priority consideration and we are continually lobbying both the local council and the state government on this. Of high priority is the building of a safe walkway between the Sailing Club and the Public Jetty and then on towards Catos Bay. This will be an expensive project but we are making representations. We are also lobbying for a pedestrian crossing in central Cygnet. Hopefully both of these can be established before someone gets knocked down – or worse.
- We have established and host a biennial celebration, ‘Le Weekend’ , to remind us of the early French explorers who were the first Europeans to visit the area. The first two events have been a great success and enjoyed by all. We hope that this was the first of many.
- There is a need for Events Signage. Somewhere we can put up posters and signs to promote upcoming activities (sporting events, exhibitions, music, drama, garage sales etc). This project has been bogged down for some time but we hope it will be realised soon.
- A longer term project under consideration is the conversion of the Mary Street car park (or a section of it) into a ‘plaza’ or town square for general recreational use and the staging of events, markets etc.
Membership is only $5 / year.
For a membership form contact: email@example.com
Minutes of previous meetings: